Saturday, August 30, 2008

590 MIGHTY MEMORY #588


PHOTO INDEX: THE SENSATIONAL SEVEN IN A CONTEST AD FROM 1959.

WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

A question has come up as to the identities of The Original Sensational Seven from WARM. When I started this project, one of the toughest things finding out were the exact dates of what started and when. I knew from anecdotal evidence that WARM went rock and roll in the summer but that was it. The Sensational Seven names I know were King Arthur Knight, Harry Newman, Len “The All Night Satalite” Woloson, Ron Allen, George Gilbert and Don Stevens. I’m missing one. But the photo I posted from WVIA FM’s program guide has Harry West who arrived in 1959, therefore not making him one of the original technically. I’ve posted the photo, did everything to enlarge it but to no avail. As far as the Sensational Seven, the original, that’s all I got. The Sensational Seven became the six when Don Stevens left in the mid 60s and everybody seemed to get an extra hour. Anyone who can elaborate, please do.

HOUSEKEEPING

The original posts to Memory #590 have been duplicated on Memory #589 because of a technical glitch. It might only be with me but I figured I wanted those comments read. They are appreciated.
As for the photos and e mails I’ve received so far, thank you. I’m putting them in files and I will use every single one of them. Keep ‘em coming.
One of the songs The Sensational Seven most likely played was this one by Little Anthony and the Imperials.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love little anthony. good song choice.

Anonymous said...

Jack Murphy was one of the original 7. He came here from Susquhanna broadcasting and left after 2 years to go WPRO in Providince RI.. He married Miss Rhode Island the following year.They moved to Hartford, Ct. That was the last I heard from him. Walt Jaye...