Wednesday, March 16, 2011

590 MIGHTY MEMORY #472





PHOTO INDEX: SCRANTON FOR GOVERNOR LICENSE PLATE AND NEWSWEEK COVER OF BILL SCRANTON.


BILL SCRANTON AND WARM

What does a former Governor of the State of Pennsylvania have to do with WARM, the Mighty 590? Plenty. The guy owned it. Bill Scranton got involved in the broadcasting business in the fifties purchasing WARM TV and the 590 frequency. (The TV station would become WNEP). WARM with its impressive call letters as well as its 5,000 watts was an attractive entity for Susquehanna Broadcasting. (They had just got WSBA in York, Pennsylvania up and running. Lou Appel who was then associate with Susquehanna called Scranton up and asked him if the station was for sale. Scranton said yes but that he was in negotiations with a Ken Cooper from New York City for the outlet. True to his word, Scranton kept negotiating with Cooper even though his interest was dwindling. Appel and Art Carlson kept after Bill Scranton because they knew the potential WARM held. Finally, Scranton gave up on Cooper and began to negotiate the sale. Appel said that he could never get over the reaction of Bill Scranton during the business meetings which took place every time during a Scranton City sized snow storm. Scranton kept on reiterating that he (Scranton) was an honest and straight forward person who was a man of his word. Appel told Phil Eberly, the author of “Susquehanna Radio: The First Fifty Years” that he found this humerous because he had no reason to believe that Bill Scranton was any type of scoundrel in business or otherwise. The deal was done with the honest Mr. Scranton. Appel had his station, he put Art Carlson in charge of it and WARM began its assent as the top dog in NEPA Radio. And Bill Scranton? He went on to become a U.S. Congressman, Governor of Pennsylvania, Presidential candidate, Ambassador to the United Nations as well as a trouble shooter for many U.S. Presidents. He also appeared on numerous national magazine covers throughout his life.

7 comments:

Leroy Kullman said...

We grew up in Dunmore in the late 40's and throughout the 50's and early 60's, my girlfriend and I at the time, always listened to the Mighty 590. I enlisted into the Air Force in 1962 and was stationed in Topeka, Kansas. I would drive home from Kansas to Dunmore (in my 56 Chevy) twice a year. When I would come up the Penn Turnpike and got near to Rocky Glen area, I would tune the old AM radio to WARM Mighty 590. As soon as I picked up the broadcast, I knew I was home.

Thanks WARM for the memories.

Oh yes, the girlfriend, Louise Bevilacqua, well we got married and will be celebrating 46 years together.

Leroy & Louise Kullman, Dunmore class of 1961. Residing in Las Vegas NV.

Jim Higgins said...

The original sensational 7: Don Stevens, George Gilbert, Vince Kierney, Jack Murphy, Ron Allen, Bart Maldon, and Jackson Gower. Gower came on at midnight, he would say its Jackson Gower in the Bowman tower. There was also a word contest about Bart Maldon. How many words can you spell using the letters in his name. Great memories. My name is Jim Higgins, I'm 65. I was born, and raised in Dunmore, and I still live there.

Unknown said...

What is the time frame for this particular story?

I never lived in WARMland, but I listened daily to another S. property -- WHLO, Akron. I lived 60 miles away in Western PA. I listened to other Susquehanna stations (WSBA, WARM) on my travels and was amazed at the great jocks and consistency of the “Susquehanna Sound.”

David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
What is the time frame for this particular story?
THE TIME FRAME FOR THIS STORY IS AROUND 1956, 57. SCRANTON WAS SELLING OFF HIS MEDIA ASSETS SINCE HE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A CONFLICT OF INTEREST WITH HIS BUDDING POLITICAL CAREER. HE RAN FOR CONGRESSMAN IN 1960. SO I'M THINKING IT WAS AROUND EARLY '57 SINCE WARM WENT TO ROCK AND ROLL BY SUSQUEHANNA'S HAND IN THE SPRING OF'58.

David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
would tune the old AM radio to WARM Mighty 590. As soon as I picked up the broadcast, I knew I was home.
Thanks WARM for the memories.
Oh yes, the girlfriend, Louise Bevilacqua, well we got married and will be celebrating 46 years together.
LARRY THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS. EVEN NOW WHEN I DRIVE OUT OF TOWN, I ALWAYS HAVE THE AM DIAL SET TO WARM. WHEN IT COMES IN LOUD AND CLEAR, I, LIKE YOU, KNOW I'M HOME. 46 YEARS? CONGRATS. OBVIOUSLY YOU MARRIED "UP" AND "SMART".

David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
The original sensational 7: Don Stevens, George Gilbert, Vince Kierney, Jack Murphy, Ron Allen, Bart Maldon, and Jackson Gower. Gower came on at midnight, he would say its Jackson Gower in the Bowman tower.
JIM THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS.

Anonymous said...

I thought I might be the only one who remembered 'Jackson Gower in the Bowman Tower.' Listened late at night when my folks thought I was sleeping. Lee Bonhamer, Ft. Pierce, FL.